[sf-lug] screen(1) addict

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Feb 18 19:59:11 PST 2008

Hello,

My name's Michael, and I'm a screen(1) addict.

On the host sitting on my lap:
$ screen -list
There are screens on:
        2547.pts-4.blackie      (Attached)
        2528.pts-5.blackie      (Attached)
        4619.pts-1.blackie      (Attached)
3 Sockets in /var/run/screen/S-michael.

And recursive listing of windows of screen sessions - some names have
been changed to protect, ... uhm, ... the innocent.
Num Name
  0 bash
  1 s.o.
    0 bash
  2 auth
  3 address_book
  4 vical
  5 todo
  6 another host
  7 0
  8 BALUG
    0 BALUG
    1 sf-lug.com.
      0 mpaoli
      1 root
      2 balug
      3 balugwm1
      4 balugwm2
      5 balug
    2 untangle
      0 mpaoli
      1 0
    3 208.69.42.165  (I installed screen(1) on this host yesterday)
      0 bash
      1 root
    4 dreamhost
  9 work
 10 bash

And at work, it's usually even worse - many more total screen windows
than the above at work itself (plus also lots of suspended ssh sessions)
... plus of course one of them going to all of the above.

Sometimes I run screen a *very* long time.
$ hostname; uptime; ps uwwwwwp 7984
sf-lug
 19:28:30 up 336 days, 39 min,  9 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
mpaoli    7984  0.0  0.1  6936 2300 ?        Ss    2007   0:45 SCREEN

But seriously :-) ... a *highly* useful (and yes, rather to quite
addictive) tool.

This article, though a bit dated, looks to be a fairly good introduction
to screen(1):
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6340
There are probably other excellent materials on screen(1) ... of course
there's the man page too.  I tend to think myself, and probably many
other folks that use screen regularly, probably only use about 10% or
less of its capabilities - probably mostly just attach/detach
capabilities, and creating and some management of multiple windows, and
perhaps a few other features (e.g. scroll back and/or copy/paste, etc.).
But of course, one needn't know and use all of it, or even most of it,
for it to be highly useful.