[sf-lug] screen addict (was Re: switching from ssh server to term..)

Rick Smith rick at rbsmith.com
Sun Feb 17 19:44:22 PST 2008

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
 > On Feb 16, 2008 2:07 PM, Rick Smith <rick at rbsmith.com> wrote:
 >> Hi, my name is Rick.  I'm a screen user.
 >> I started back in back in 98...
 >
 > Rick, you're supposed to be anonymous!  Screen Addicts "Anonymous"!!!

Heh, indeed, though for the most part, "Rick Smith" resides in a highly
overloaded namespace which provides some level of anonymity.  However,
the email address.. yeah .. needed screen.addict at rbsmith.com :)

If I ever make it out again to a meeting, I'll be glad to trade
tips with any fellow users.  Typically I have 30 to 40 windows
under control of a screen session, done using a multi-dimension
control scheme:

First session:

   screen -e^xa -m

Nested with

   screen -e^ea -m

Nested with

   screen -m

This sets up a 3 dimensional matrix of screen sessions
with control-X controlling big slices, control-E moving with
each control-X slice, and control-A being multiple windows
within the same task.  I typically set up ^X0 to be mail,
^X1 to be all my connections to remote machines, ^X2 to
be coding projects.

Typing ^xd will disconnect the whole collection nested collection.
'screen -r' will reconnect the collection when I log back in.

fun stuff.

Rick