[sf-lug] screen addict (was Re: switching from ssh server to term..)

Rick Smith rick at rbsmith.com
Sat Feb 16 14:07:53 PST 2008

Rick Moen wrote:
 > .. screen is addictive and a way of life ..

Hi, my name is Rick.  I'm a screen user.
I started back in back in 98.  I was missing some program
I used at HP to have multiple terminal sessions in one window.
Cool program, what was the name of it?  Heh, yep, screen is like that.
Takes hold, and all that came before is forgotten.  Anyway, I went
to a meeting of wplug.org, describing my woes of missing multiple
terminal sessions, and wasn't getting much in the way of relief.
Then some guy, he looked at me from the shadows, and said "might be
something for you here.  Goes by the name of ... (whispers) screen..
why don't you type it in, give it a try ... (oh, then the big hook)..
what have you got to lose .. it's free..".  That's how it started.
Simple really.  Start it up, control-A C for a new session.
Control-A Control-A to toggle back and forth.  I could go on .. but
you know the story.  There's no turning back.

Rick