[sf-lug] Running "standard" X-windows in addition to Gnome / KDE?

RBV GoodWriter2548 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 12:16:43 PST 2008

Hi:

I'm having problems getting "standards-based" X-windows (I'm not even
sure of the properly terminology) to run on my Ubuntu system as a
third GUI choice.

My Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty)system currently allows me to use the GUI login
panel to start either Gnome (preferred) or KDE (primarily for fun)
sessions.   My standard method of running these two GUI desktop
managers is to boot into Gnome, then create a virtual terminal and use
the GUI to login into a KDE session in a virtual terminal.

So far, so good.

Now I'd like to add a standard X-Windows login choice but haven't been
able to identify what and how to install and configure the plumbing
necessary to do that.  My usual problem-solving approach -- Web
searches -- hasn't been all that helpful since the articles I've found
assume that X-windows has already been installed and is running
properly.

Can anyone point me to the Ubuntu Repository resources and associated
configuration "how to" information that I can use to install and
configure a working X-windows GUI on my computer?

Cheers & thanks,
Riley
SFO