[sf-lug] history of 'install' command?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Feb 11 16:55:41 PST 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 05:33:51PM -0800, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the history of the
> 'install' command.  Why is it necessary?  Was 'cp' not good enough?
> :-)

Well, "install" does copying, permissions, creations of directories and
subdirectories.  Maybe they found themselves doing "mkdir", "cp", "chmod"
so many times in a row that someone decided to make a tool that does it
all in one fell swoop...?

(Manpage shows it also does "strip", and version-numbered backups and such.)

bill at newbreedsoftware.com