[sf-lug] simple gui editor that will accept a paste

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Feb 8 13:09:36 PST 2008

Quoting jim stockford (jim at well.com):

> using vi or similar:
> hit the escape key.
> use the k or j keys to move the cursor to a line
> you want to copy.
> use the yy command to "yank" (i.e. copy) the line
> into a buffer.
> use the k or j keys to move the cursor to the line
> above the point you want to place the copy.
> use the p command to "paste" the copied line
> as a new line below the current line.

Just to clarify for Alex's benefit, these are all operations _within_
vi (vim, nvi, whatever).  To the best of my understanding, Alex was
inquiring about paste operations between X11 windows, one of which was
vim -- which is of course a different matter from manipulating vi
buffers (a useful skill in itself, of course).