[sf-lug] Polk Street Small Business Group and Polk Street Fair

jim stockford jim at well.com
Mon Feb 4 12:14:14 PST 2008

here's the address and time :

Host:
Daniel Parrillo & Gary Marshall with the Small Business Administration

Location:
Space Gallery
1141 Polk Street (at Sutter), San Francisco, CA 94109 US

When:
Tuesday, February 12, 7:00PM

Phone:
415-695-1600

    i'm interested in understanding the needs of v. small
businesses (under 100, under 20, under 10 seats):
what desktop needs do they have, what on-premise
servers do they need, what off-site servers and
services are most appropriate.
    for example, thin clients using browsers might be
all that's needed for some seats, full PCs might be
needed for specialized seats (e.g. finance and HR).
on-premises servers might include a local web server
and file server and print server and data base server,
and probably a network monitoring system and a
gateway to the internet. off-premises services might
include an email server and web server, also a
backup file server.
    there are needs of specialized businesses: a
restaurant might want specialized terminals and
software for table servers; a retail store might want
cash register integration....
    Joe's Pharmacy on Geary at 16th uses the PPC
software service which includes on-site windows-
based PCs running specialized software in
conjunction with internet accessible services that
provide frequent updates for medical, legal, and
other info.

    what should a linux-oriented technician be
prepared to support?
    how to reach small business owners who might
be interested in the benefits of lower costs and
rich customization possibilities offered by open
source software and systems?
    how to discover linux-based specialized systems
for kiosks and business with special needs?