[sf-lug] memtest

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Feb 2 22:54:39 PST 2008

Quoting Kristian Erik Hermansen (kristian.hermansen at gmail.com):

> You may want to look at `memtester', which allows to test your memory
> within Linux, but this one won't be able to test your whole RAM.
>
> It can output a list of bad RAM regions usable by the BadRAM kernel
> patch, so that you can still use you old RAM with one or two bad bits.

I personally regard both of those as neat tricks, but nothing I'd rely
on.

First, if you have even a suspicion that some of your RAM might be bad,
then in my view the situation's urgent enough to justify running a
dedicated RAM-checker for a day or two.  Second, if you _do_ determine
that a stick of RAM is partially bad, in my view, you really need to
throw it awayarather than try to skirt around the bad area under the
questionable assumption that adjacent RAM is and will remain perfectly
OK.