[sf-lug] beginner's vim question

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 2 14:47:52 PST 2008

I'm puzzled by the behavior of the - and + movement commands within
vim:
They are defined as "to the first non blank character" of the line
above/below the cursor.
When used alone, that indeed seems to be what they do.
BUT..
if used as a motion parameter to the d(elete command:
the deletion includes the line below or above AS WELL as the
appropriate part of the line on which the cursor was sitting.

This seems counter intuitive to me. Can anyone shed some light as to
why it's set up this way?

a_kleider at yahoo.com