[sf-lug] A new FOSS project for this LUG

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 00:06:35 PST 2008

hi,

I have recently contacted this group to see if they would be interested in
trying a FOSS box, and they said yes, they would be interested.  I will be
needing help to configure printers and maybe even to install an OS (probably
not, but you never know with me, heh), and networking (samba) and other
stuff, so if anyone is interested, I would sure appreciate it.  They are a
Windows environment, and that bodes poorly, and is going to require lots of
Samba stuff, I am guessing.  But it seems like they would be willing to show
girls how to use Linux, and that can only be a good thing.

Thanks in advance for anyone who wants to help.

http://sfoasis.org/

here is how this group describes itself:

http://sfoasis.org/about/overview.php

*Oasis For Girls* (a project of the Tides Center), located in San
Francisco's South of Market neighborhood, is a center for girls and young
women ages 10 – 20. We aim to fulfill the life cycle of a girl– from
elementary school, to middle school, through high school and slightly beyond
– through interdisciplinary programming that builds on each step of the way
through a girl's development. We've prioritized our programming and services
to reflect this; some of our programs are offered to specific age groups,
while others are open to all girls to build on our mentorship model.
Opportunities for growth exist through our Arts, Leadership Development and
Life Skills programs.