[sf-lug] IEs4Linux

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Fri Jan 25 08:39:14 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 01:09 -0800, Alex Kleider wrote:
> --- Tom Haddon <tom at greenleaftech.net> wrote:
>
> > If you could let us know what steps you've taken so far that'd be
> > great.
> > Are you typing commands in a terminal (and if so what's the output
> > you
> > get) or are you running a command? What are the options you're
> > presented
> > with on the MS site? If you can let me know what steps you've taken
> > I'd
> > be happy to repeat them here and figure out what to recommend next.
>
> Thanks, Tom, for your offer to help. At the following site:
> http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page
> I clicked on the "Follow me.." link..
> and then clicked on the Ubuntu.. specific instructions
> and faithfully followed these instructions.
> It was very much my impression that the last command ( ./ies4linux )
> was a program that did the installation of IE.
> There is now an IEs4Linux icon on my ubuntu desktop
> but clicking on it, after a much longer delay than I would have
> expected, results in what looks like a web page offering to download
> various versions of IE, except the page lacks a place to enter a URL
> which I would have expected if I was indeed running a browser.
> As Harry Belafonte used to sing: Clear as mud, but it cover dee
> ground..

Hmm... I followed the instructions on the page, and I now have IE6
installed and working and can browse to any site with it. So it seemed
to work for me fine (I'm running Ubuntu 7.10). However, the install
program (ies4linux) did crash on me multiple times with the following
output:

/home/mthaddon/ies4linux-2.99.0/ui/pygtk/ies4linux-gtk.py:268:
GtkWarning: gtk_text_layout_real_invalidate: assertion
`layout->wrap_loop_count == 0' failed
  self.textbuffer.insert_with_tags(self.textbuffer.get_end_iter(), line,
tag)

Pango-ERROR **: file /build/buildd/pango1.0-1.18.3/pango/pango-layout.c:
line 3546 (pango_layout_check_lines): assertion failed: (!
layout->log_attrs)
aborting...
ui/pygtk/python-gtk.sh: line 6:  7407 Aborted                 (core
dumped) python "$IES4LINUX"/ui/pygtk/ies4linux-gtk.py

I just kept rerunning it as each time it was crashing what appeared to
be a little further along the download proces, and sure enough, after
about 5 attempts it completed the install and told me that everything
was installed and that I could run IE as "ie6".

Where abouts in the process are you? Are you running ies4linux from the
command line or just double-clicking on it. If you are double-clicking
on it, my suspicion is you're experiencing the same as me (without
seeing the crash messages) and that if you keep doing it a few more
times it will get a little further each time and finally complete.

Thanks, Tom