[sf-lug] Sound on Feisty Edubuntu thin client network

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 16:25:42 PST 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 4:13 PM, Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com> wrote:
> We actually do have a separate box that someone installed squid and Dans
> Guardian on, and we just need to install it in front of the server, IMHO.
> Of course, you are da man with regard to security, so I don't mean to
> disagree with you, but it does seem as if there is some benefit to having
> the proxy services running on a separate box, right?  We use something like
> ksysguard to monitor the performance of the server while the lab is in full
> use, and the memory and both processors are already pushing the upper end of
> the limits when the lab is full of kids.  So it would seem that there is a
> benefit to having that separate box, IMHO.
>
> What say you, Kristian?

You understand the environment better than I, so I will not purport to
have better knowledge!  When I ran labs at UMass, security was not
(generally) a concern.  We understand that academic environments are
more "open", and sometimes we even taught "hacking courses" in the lab
and used some of the machines as victims :-)  So, in academia, things
are more lenient IMHO.  If your scenario, I can see why you would want
to protect the students.

Running squid on the server is obviously just one more security attack
surface, but given most educational institutions, cost is  sadly more
often important than security and they cannot afford another box.
Since you have another machine, go for it on that box!  I'm sure you
have a much better idea of how things are set up there, so let us all
know how it turns out in the end...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."