[sf-lug] Sound on Feisty Edubuntu thin client network

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 16:13:35 PST 2008

hi

On Jan 23, 2008 2:25 PM, Kristian Erik Hermansen

> Have you seen the Edubuntu Handbook?
> http://doc.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/edubuntu/handbook/C/

Thanks, I will check this out.

> For a proxy, I would assume that merely installing Squid on the LTSP
> server would be sufficient.  If you want to block certain site, check
> out Dan's Guardian as well...

We actually do have a separate box that someone installed squid and Dans
Guardian on, and we just need to install it in front of the server, IMHO.
Of course, you are da man with regard to security, so I don't mean to
disagree with you, but it does seem as if there is some benefit to having
the proxy services running on a separate box, right?  We use something like
ksysguard to monitor the performance of the server while the lab is in full
use, and the memory and both processors are already pushing the upper end of
the limits when the lab is full of kids.  So it would seem that there is a
benefit to having that separate box, IMHO.

What say you, Kristian?