[sf-lug] dig and whois; also VeriSign

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 21 12:30:39 PST 2008

Quoting Alex Kleider (a_kleider at yahoo.com):

> I notice that the VeriSign notice indicates that only .com, .net and
> .edu TLDs are supported but in fact
> $ whois kleider.ca
> gets appropriate results.

Alex, that's because your "whois" client is re-routing your WHOIS
request to a more-appropriate WHOIS server for the TLD (top-level domain)
you asked about, and (in particular) to a non-Verisign WHOIS server
located at the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) that
serves Canada's country-code TLD ("ca").

Notice that this re-routing becomes more explicit if you include the
"--verbose" flag:

$ whois --verbose -H kleider.ca
Using server whois.cira.ca.
Query string: "kleider.ca"

Admin-Name:     Alex Kleider
Admin-Title:    concept artist
Admin-Postal:   Kleiderstudios.com
                2760 W4th ave
                Vancouver BC V6K1R1 Canada
Admin-Phone:    778-552-5280
Admin-Mailbox:  kleider at gmail.com
Tech-Name:      Alex Kleider
Tech-Title:     concept artist
Tech-Postal:    Kleiderstudios.com
                2760 W4th ave
                Vancouver BC V6K1R1 Canada
Tech-Phone:     778-552-5280
Tech-Mailbox:   kleider at gmail.com
NS1-Hostname:   ns1.easydns.com
NS2-Hostname:   ns2.easydns.com
NS3-Hostname:   remote1.easydns.com
NS4-Hostname:   remote2.easydns.com
NS5-Hostname:   ns3.easydns.org
NS6-Hostname:   ns6.easydns.net

> (the ca is for Canada, not California;

Well, yeah.  I know that most Yanks are abysmally and embarrassingly
ignorant about Canada, but I'm not.  I'm even a longtime fan of Rick
Mercer's "Talking to Americans" segment on "This Hour has 22

There actually are two "whois" client programs in common use on Linux
One is Marco d'Itri's and is a relatively simple C program controlled by
configuration file /etc/whois.conf .   http://www.linux.it/~md/software/
You can use that conffile to update the program's knowledge of where
WHOIS service is available for particular TLDs; sometimes, countries
move that service around without informing even the IANA (Internet
Assigned Numbers Authority), let alone authors of whois programs.
It's the default whois program on Debian, Mandriva, SUSE, and a bunch of

The other common "whois" program is Jonas Oberg's "jwhois", at FSF:
http://www.gnu.org/software/jwhois/  It's somewhat more modular, is
commonly found on Ubuntu, among others. and is configured via
/etc/jwhois.conf .

If you'd like to read more on this subject, please see:

[1] And my mother-in-law is Canadian dual-citizen, and has a house in
Courtenay, Comox Valley, Vancouver Island -- not -too- far away from