[sf-lug] dig and whois; also VeriSign

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 21 12:30:39 PST 2008

Quoting Alex Kleider (a_kleider at yahoo.com):

> I notice that the VeriSign notice indicates that only .com, .net and
> .edu TLDs are supported but in fact
> $ whois kleider.ca
> gets appropriate results.

Alex, that's because your "whois" client is re-routing your WHOIS
request to a more-appropriate WHOIS server for the TLD (top-level domain)
you asked about, and (in particular) to a non-Verisign WHOIS server
located at the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) that
serves Canada's country-code TLD ("ca").

Notice that this re-routing becomes more explicit if you include the
"--verbose" flag:

$ whois --verbose -H kleider.ca
Using server whois.cira.ca.
Query string: "kleider.ca"

Admin-Name:     Alex Kleider
Admin-Title:    concept artist
Admin-Postal:   Kleiderstudios.com
                2760 W4th ave
                Vancouver BC V6K1R1 Canada
Admin-Phone:    778-552-5280
Admin-Fax:
Admin-Mailbox:  kleider at gmail.com
Tech-Name:      Alex Kleider
Tech-Title:     concept artist
Tech-Postal:    Kleiderstudios.com
                2760 W4th ave
                Vancouver BC V6K1R1 Canada
Tech-Phone:     778-552-5280
Tech-Fax:
Tech-Mailbox:   kleider at gmail.com
NS1-Hostname:   ns1.easydns.com
NS1-Netaddress:
NS2-Hostname:   ns2.easydns.com
NS2-Netaddress:
NS3-Hostname:   remote1.easydns.com
NS3-Netaddress:
NS4-Hostname:   remote2.easydns.com
NS4-Netaddress:
NS5-Hostname:   ns3.easydns.org
NS5-Netaddress:
NS6-Hostname:   ns6.easydns.net
NS6-Netaddress:

> (the ca is for Canada, not California;

Well, yeah.  I know that most Yanks are abysmally and embarrassingly
ignorant about Canada, but I'm not.  I'm even a longtime fan of Rick
Mercer's "Talking to Americans" segment on "This Hour has 22
Minutes".[1]

There actually are two "whois" client programs in common use on Linux
One is Marco d'Itri's and is a relatively simple C program controlled by
configuration file /etc/whois.conf .   http://www.linux.it/~md/software/
You can use that conffile to update the program's knowledge of where
WHOIS service is available for particular TLDs; sometimes, countries
move that service around without informing even the IANA (Internet
Assigned Numbers Authority), let alone authors of whois programs.
It's the default whois program on Debian, Mandriva, SUSE, and a bunch of
others.

The other common "whois" program is Jonas Oberg's "jwhois", at FSF:
http://www.gnu.org/software/jwhois/  It's somewhat more modular, is
commonly found on Ubuntu, among others. and is configured via
/etc/jwhois.conf .

If you'd like to read more on this subject, please see:
http://linuxgazette.net/142/moen.html

[1] And my mother-in-law is Canadian dual-citizen, and has a house in
Courtenay, Comox Valley, Vancouver Island -- not -too- far away from
Kleiderstudios.