[sf-lug] Recieved my XO today!!

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Jan 3 19:51:22 PST 2008

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> On 3 Jan 2008 20:22:13 -0500, Blake Haggerty
> <Blake.Haggerty at sapphire.com> wrote:
>
>> Just an announcement that my XO just showed up at my office... I can't
>> believe how small it is....
>>

> Still don't have mine and I ordered within a couple hours of them
> going on sale.  I have heard offline from multiple people about OLPC
> organizational issues.  After getting an email the other day saying
> that my laptop would not arrive until January 15th, I became very
> suspicious that something was not right.   I mean, I was one of the
> first people to order, and people are getting their laptops before
> me?!?!  I put in the reference number from the email on their web
> status checker just to make sure, as they had not replied to emails I
> sent earlier.  So, after three hours on hold -- yes luckily I utilize
> Gizmo VoIP -- I got through.  I gave them the reference number, and
> apparently, it was in a separate database, and not the "main
> database".  Interesting.
>
> So, after giving a lot of details to find me in this "other database",
> they tracked down my order.  And guess what!!??  Not only was it never
> going to be shipped, but apparently they had numerous issues with
> addresses being input into their "original database" incorrectly.  So,
> they would have never shipped it to me unless I called to fix this
> problem.  They did not call me or respond to my emails either, and I
> was proactive.  Think about all the other people who are less
> proactive than myself!
>
> Finally, I was able to get them to fix everything, but now they are
> not certain that I will receive the laptops by January 15th.  I
> offered to have someone physically drive into Boston to pick them up
> (hey, it's my hometown!), but they said this was not an option.  /me
> grumbles...

Kristian,

Like me I think you ordered on the phone. It looks like they screwed up
the phone orders big time. My credit card info was all wrong. After
complaining on the OLPC forum (a great resource -
http://olpc.osuosl.org) I got two "laptop.org" people to track it down
for me. They called me and my card got billed finally. No idea when I'll
get it though. Considering I have  B4 test machine, I'm in no hurry, but
this is indeed a B2B supply chain having B2C trouble.

BTW, the machines ship from Libertyville, IL so Boston has little to do
with shipping logistics.

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.