[sf-lug] sf-lug Digest, Vol 25, Issue 59

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Dec 30 15:11:28 PST 2007

Quoting Tom Haddon (tom at greenleaftech.net):

> I should say that from my own experience, and from what I understand of
> Enlightenment generally, it's bling-y while still being low resource (at
> least, relative to Gnome or KDE, for instance).

Yes, my, how standards change.  ;->  In the day, Rasterman and Mandrake
required the beefiest graphical subsystems (and largest multimonitor
setups) in the entire firm, for their work on "E" and other things.

> The only problem with that is that Ubuntu still doesn't include
> Enlightenment's new version (E17), which is still "under
> development"...

You have no idea how nostalgic that seems, since that was always the "E"
story:  Good today, will be great RSN.  (Mind you, I _do_ like
Enlightenment.  The odd reputation it got at the turn of the last decade
owed mainly to some omnipresent "E" themes apparently created by teenage
boys of various ages.  Well, that and the fact that it wasn't always
very stable.)

> There are other Ubuntu spin-offs that package up E17, such as elbuntu
> (www.elbuntu.org) and Gebuntu
> (http://geubuntu.intilinux.com/Home.html).

Good to know.  I may have to look into it, some time.

However, I'm not personally sold on "control over window management"
generally, in the sense most people intend.  I just want my WM to make
most things vaguely attractive and functional, and otherwise stay out of
my way.