[sf-lug] sf-lug Digest, Vol 25, Issue 59

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Sun Dec 30 12:53:18 PST 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 12:18 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting terry (a10cuba at hotmail.com):
>
> > has any one used GOS yet nice   Ubuntu based  distro.
>
> It's actually the default load on some extremely inexpensive commodity
> desktop machines (Walmart's, Everex's, ClubIT.com's).
>
> I haven't yet seen gOS, but have read about it.  The use of
> Enlightenment as the window manager is really interesting:  That was one
> of the more gonzo, splashy, graphics-heavy X11 environments of the late
> '90s, and I used to work with its two maintainers.

I should say that from my own experience, and from what I understand of
Enlightenment generally, it's bling-y while still being low resource (at
least, relative to Gnome or KDE, for instance).

> So, it's not totally useless for those of us who actually
> _like_ open source and control of our own data.  However, it strikes me
> that you'd get better results by just installing one of the other *buntu
> disks, installing the Enlightenment package, and switching over the
> default desktop environment to that.

The only problem with that is that Ubuntu still doesn't include
Enlightenment's new version (E17), which is still "under development",
but includes the stable version, E16. There are other Ubuntu spin-offs
that package up E17, such as elbuntu (www.elbuntu.org) and Gebuntu
(http://geubuntu.intilinux.com/Home.html).

Personally I haven't used Enlightenment as my main desktop for a while,
but once E17 is finished that might change - I like what I've seen so
far. Very slick, fast, customizable and giving the user much greater
control over window management than Gnome (or KDE as far as I'm aware).

Cheers, Tom