[sf-lug] New to this list; Gmane.org, anyone?

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Mon Dec 24 16:14:29 PST 2007

'lo. I just finally subscribed to this list, albeit with the "nomail"
option. I'm hoping to get the list archive mirrored on gmane.org, with
the added benefits that brings, including a web form for posting to the
list, an NNTP gateway for participating in it, and four different RSS
feeds of the list. Currently, replying to old messages not in one's
inbox requires manually setting the In-Reply-To headers. Note that the
current system hosting the list, linuxmafia.com, is capable of
providing the NNTP gateway itself, but in a slightly more limited role.
I asked Jim, and he thinks that mirroring on gmane.org is a great idea,
but that his opinion is his alone, and not necessarily that of others
on the list. So, how about having some of you fellow list participants
discuss the matter? If people like the idea, there's another question
to answer: E-mail addresses in the mirrored archive get obscured in one
of two ways: Either the "@" is replaced with "at" inside the message,
or the whole address is scrambled. Unfortunately, there is no option to
leave them as they are. So, that would be another thing to discuss. The
past two years of the list are trivial to copy over into the mirror
because the mbox file is easily web-accessible. However, I really hope
the first year and a half of archives can join them there. I understand
that the machine that hosted those died, but I don't know to what
degree the old Mailman mbox file is irretrievable from it, nor whether
any backups of it existed. Alas, the mbox format file really is the
only way that part of the list's history can rejoin it in this medium,
and Jim's meticulous retention of each message individually is
insufficient. I probably won't reply back to this thread unless
everybody comes to an agreement, but I'll be checking for replies
nonetheless. I hope to see some of you at the Javacat sometime...
--
"No gnu's is good gnu's."   --Gary Gnu, "The Great Space Coaster"