[sf-lug] console (non-X) video games?

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 21 06:10:07 PST 2007

There are lots of console (no X required and in many/most cases X not
supported) "games" (or stuff that's often lumped in with games, though
some could well be argued to be utilities).

Here's quick list of stuff I have on one of my systems:

$ echo `(cd /usr/games; for tmp in *; do 2>>/dev/null ldd "$tmp" | >>/dev/null
2>&1 fgrep -e libX -e 'not a dynamic executable' || echo "$tmp"; done)`
adventure an animals arithmetic atc backgammon banner battlestar bcd boggle
caesar canfield cfscores cockney collect crafty.bin cribbage dab fish fortune
gomoku hack hangman hunt jethro jive ken kraut ky00te lifeconv lifesearch
lifesearchdumb luxchk luxman maped mille monop moon-buggy morse nettoe newspeak
number nyc phantasia pig pom ppt primes quiz rain random robots sail snake
snscore tamad teachgammon tetris-bsd tf thrust trek typespeed worm worms wump
xtbot xtserv zic2xpm
$
Might be some false positives in that (and perhaps also some "missing"), but
that's 68 "games", ... and I show approximately 43 "games" in the bsdgames
package.
worm(6) is fairly fun and quite simple (in principle, anyway).  I think I
once played a perfect game of worm(6).