[sf-lug] Ubuntu 7.10 Video Problem

Ted Nebus x351912 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 11:35:13 PST 2007

Hi,

I am a solid linux user (non programmer, non admin) so that best
describes my tech level.  I have been using ubuntu for a while now I
think since 6.06.

Normally, I dumpster computers and put them together (so I do know a
bit about hardware).  I finally got a job where i can buy parts so I
did.

I started to install Ubuntu 7.10 (i386).  During boot up it started to
switch into the graphics mode. It but kept switching back to text
perhaps looking for the right video settings(?).  Ultimately it gave
me a message to the effect of

The video server has been restarted about 6 times in the last 90
seconds.  Will try again in 2 minutes.

I said okay, and waited.

It did the same cycle again, and then I restarted the computer.

I put in my xubuntu 6.10 (i386) cd which I had handy, and it didn't
have this problem.  I was able to install.  This however had a problem
with the partitioner I was able to make a 10 gig / a 5 gig /home and a
8 gig swap.  I wanted the remainder of the 500 gig SATA drive to be
/shared.   It gave me a message saying that I could not start the
partition before the start (or something like that).  I figured I
would settle that later.  After rebooting I put in the Ubuntu 7.10
disk, added it to my repositories and tried to install ndiswrapper.
It told me that I could not because I didn't have the correct libc6 in
the repositories.

Ideally, I want Ubuntu 7.10 on my system.

Hardware is as follows:
HD 500G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD5000AAKS
MB GIGABYTE GA-MA69VM-S2 R
CPU AMD|A64 X2 5600 2.8G AM2 2x1M R
MEM 2GX2|A-DATA ADQVE1B16K R

Any thoughts?  Sorry for the lack of precision on the error messages.

Thanks,

Ted