[sf-lug] Ubuntu Article on Techsoup

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 13:43:29 PST 2007

hi

On Dec 17, 2007 11:31 AM, Charles N Wyble <charles at thewybles.com> wrote:

> I am setting up a Linux lab at Roosevelt High School in
> east los angeles. Its among the top 10 largest high schools in the
> United States.

Have you spoken with either Kenneth Wyrick or Ricardo Mireles?  They are
both big in FOSS in LA.  If you would like, I will ask Kenneth to contact
you.  I have lost Ricardo's contact info, unfortunately.

> So I am very interested in what SFLUG has done and collaboration on
> deploying Linux based labs utilizing Edubuntu.

We purchased a thin client server with the help of... get ready for this...
Microsoft!!  It's true!  Microsoft bought our school an edubuntu thin client
server from a company called Zareason.com !!  I blogged about the
experience, and the blog was Slashdotted.  This should help you *get* the
box.

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/11/1446254

I am actually a relatively simple end user, but it was still quite simple,
with the help of several members of this list, to get the box installed and
set up a decent thin client lab!!

I am glad to share with you what little I know about our work.  I mostly did
non-technical stuff.

Good luck!  Please let me know what apps you are going to be using, and how
you are integrating your lab into the school curriculum.  As always, the
biggest challenges in doing this kind of work is not the technical stuff
(although that work is, indeed, difficult!), but the work of getting
curriculum to get the staff and students interested in actually using the
infrastructure!