[sf-lug] from matt in toronto re St. Anthony's and a question

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 11:03:03 PST 2007

hi

On Dec 16, 2007 2:33 PM, jim stockford <jim at well.com> wrote:

> hi folks,
>
> first, just want to reinforce Christian on today's event

Yeah, and thanks to everyone who played a role in making it happen.  It was
really Tom Haddon and Jim Stockford who got it rolling with Kami, at least
insofar as our LUG is concerned.  There were a lot of people on the other
end, St. Anthony's end and the City's end that made this such a success.

Also, Daniel Gimpelevich played a really huge role in getting the FOSS boxes
working.  He and Jim came over to the school several times and helped get
Ubuntu installed on the boxes and did trouble shooting.

> at St.
> Anthony's -- it was a lot of fun and i think for at least some people
> the FOSS element played a significant role.

This is very true.  We got FOSS installed on several boxes, and brought to
life machines that were given up as dead by the Windows people.  This is not
a slam on the Windows people who were there, because they did a great job in
referring people over to us, and I'm sure that they helped a lot of people,
too!  (I mean to the extent that you can actually *help* people with
Windows, which is a question in my mind, but I don't want to sound like a
GNU Linux bigot [true confessions -- I am a GNU Linux bigot, but don't tell
anyone, heh])