[sf-lug] i got a SAN and need a fibre channel interface to configure it

Jason Turner jturner at nonzerosums.org
Sat Dec 15 14:16:43 PST 2007

Appreciate the reply, Ernest.  Answers below.

Ernest De Leon wrote:
> Every SAN that I have worked on has been configurable via ethernet.  I
> have never had to connect via FC for configuration.  As far as I knew,
> FC was only for data.  Do you know if there is a web based interface
> on the SAN itself?
It was our hope... who/what doesn't have one since 2000?!
Unfortunately, the answer *appears* to be no in this case.

> Do you happen to know the IP the ethernet port was set to before you
> got a hold of it?
No.  Given with zero info on its history.  We tried looking for it on
192.168 and 10. addressing but it never showed up under those networks.

> If the answer is no, is there a method to re initalize the unit to
> factory defaults?
There *must* be, right?  As of yet, I don't know it.  And...

> Were you able to get the system documentation?
LSI Logic support did forward us this User Guide PDF,
http://sf-lug.com/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?id=lug_projects%3Ahayes_valley_community_center_computer_lab&cache=cache&media=lug_projects:2882ug.pdf

It wasn't terribly helpful with any details around configuration but
searching around the 'Net did yield a couple of more details that seem
to be confirmed by the support person who said,

"If you do not have a Host with a fiber channel HBA on it then you will not be able to configure the machine.

The SANtricity Manager will need to utilize the Fiber Channel to
configure the HBA, LUN and Volume's that you want to create."

> Let me ask a friend of mine who works more with LSI than I do and see
> what he says. I am more of an EMC/3PAR guy.

Thanks.  If we do ever get to a point of gaining access to the config,
we could probably still use your experience.  Speaking for myself, I
have exactly *zero* experience with this sort of equipment.  Unless you
count the config friendly boxes of Adaptec Snapservers.  And I don't
think they're in the same class.