[sf-lug] Volunteer InstallFest (Dec 15th)

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Tue Nov 20 09:26:24 PST 2007

Hi Folks,

Below are the details of the Install Fest for anyone interested in
participating. I've also attached a first draft of an "Intake Sheet"
which would outline what hardware is being processed, and then look at
what distro to install based on hardware specs (Rick's recent comments
about stripping down standard distros notwithstanding).

We're looking for about 4-5 people to help out. Any level of experience
is welcome, but it would be ideal if you have a good familiarity with
installing Linux (!) so you can help out with the installations. Nothing
fancy, just peforming a base install.

I won't actually be available on the day, unfortunately, so if any is
able to step up and help out with some of the organising (burning CDs,
etc.) that would be great. Or, I can burn CDs and someone can pick them
up from me.

Thanks, Tom

----------------------------

St. Anthony Foundation serves low income and homeless individuals in the
Tenderloin. They offer several classes, including A+ certification and
partner with another lab in the area called SF Network Ministries that
offers open computer access several days a week. Their students ask for
operating systems and/or Office software to install on their computers,
many of which are found on the sidewalk. So St. Anthony Foundation and
SF Network Ministries asked SF Connect to help organize an "Open Source"
installation faire which is scheduled for Saturday, December 15. They’re
in the very beginning stages of planning this, so it would be great to
have a few technical people involved in the planning as well.

Please respond to kami at techsoup.org if you are interested in helping
with the planning process, a conference call will be scheduled later
this week.

If you are interested in volunteering on the day of the event, please
sign-up through the SF Connect website:

http://www.sfconnect.org/projects/viewProject.php?_mode=occurrenceView&_action=load&ixActivity=193&_clearFlag=specialevent&_clearFlag=course&ixAffiliateRegion=&sZipcode=&bAvailable=&dtBegin=&dtEnd=

Thanks!

--