[sf-lug] laptop thoughts...

Mark K. Zanfardino mark at zanfardinoconsulting.com
Thu Dec 13 11:00:58 PST 2007

I realize I'm chiming in a bit late on this thread, but I would like to
throw in my two-cents for Lenovo (ThinkPad) as a solid Linux platform.
Now, I can only speak from personal experience, which to date is limited
to just a few laptops including my newly acquired several-year-old T40
equipped with the Pentium Centrino M processor (1.6GHz), 512MB RAM,
14.1" display with integrated Intel video and wifi (full specs at
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/thinkpad-t40/4507-3121_7-20947059.html).
I bought this from my wife's company (it was her laptop until they
upgraded her) for a mere $140.  I'm running Kubuntu Gutsy with all the
eye candy (Compiz-fusion) and native support for the wifi (not
ndiswrapper) and it works brilliantly!

I should also say that I recently bought a Lenora R61 for my wife with
the 14.4" (wide screen) with Intel Core-2 Duo (2.4 GHz), 2GB RAM and
integrated Intel video and wifi.  It came preloaded with Vista, which I
promptly removed and installed (at my wife's request) Windows XP as well
as Kubuntu Feisty.  I haven't done much with the Feisty, but I'm
planning to upgrade it to Gutsy and see if I can't get her to use it
instead of the XP.  Sadly she does rely on iTunes for her Nike pedometer
software, so I'm not sure I'll be able to complete break here of XP.
But I digress...

As a platform for Linux it appears to me that the Lenovo produce line is
a good one to look at, and from what I understand they are planning to
ramp up production in the coming year, so availability ought good.
Check em out.  And buy local, if you can.

Cheers