[sf-lug] limit/throttle bandwidth of current outbound SCP connection?

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 20:00:23 PST 2007

On Dec 7, 2007 7:49 PM, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> wrote:
> * Install the Wondershaper on the Linux machine doing the routing
> * Relax, because everything is wonderfully shaped

That's what I was looking for!  I have heard many good things from
co-workers at Cisco on wondershaper, but I had forgotten the name.
However, I solved it another way using tc == 'traffic
control'...already built into the Linux kernel and install on Ubuntu
as part of the iproute package...

Here's how I did it 'live', without stopping the connection :-)
root at khermans-laptop:/tmp# tc qdisc add dev eth1 root handle 1: tbf
rate 300kbit burst 300kbit latency 1

This rule shaped to 300kbits, so now my roommate can do his work
[making the service better] for the startup BlinkX, the video search
engine that competes with Google... (http://www.blinkx.com)

A HOWTO I just found after writing the rule above, which is not ideal,
but did the job!
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.cookbook.ultimate-tc.html

> Alternately, I'd ^C the scp and add restore the scp by using *rsync*
> instead, and have the rsync use a "trickle-shaped" ssh.  See
> http://www.linux.com/articles/61293 .
>
> rsync itself might have bandwidth limiting options, actually.  By using
> rsync you get to pick up where you ^C'd.

Good suggestions...thanks dude :-)
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious."