[sf-lug] limit/throttle bandwidth of current outbound SCP connection?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Dec 7 19:49:25 PST 2007

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:

> I am in the middle of uploading a 2GB file via scp from my laptop at
> home to a remote SSH server.  Roommate returns home, and my upload
> bandwidth is killing the connection.  Can I limit/throttle the current
> connection in progress without kill the 800MB I have already uploaded?

The way I always do this is to ^Z the scp for 20 seconds, fg it for 20,
and so on. (-:

> My home Cable modem upload is horrible, and I want to preserve the
> bits I already transferred.  Looking for a tool to get the job done,
> expecially on an existing connection, as I suspect most tools would
> need a new TCP connection to initiate the bandwidth limitations.  Any
> ideas?

More seriously, here's what I'd do:

* Install the Wondershaper on the Linux machine doing the routing
* Relax, because everything is wonderfully shaped

Alternately, I'd ^C the scp and add restore the scp by using *rsync*
instead, and have the rsync use a "trickle-shaped" ssh.  See
http://www.linux.com/articles/61293 .

rsync itself might have bandwidth limiting options, actually.  By using
rsync you get to pick up where you ^C'd.

-- Asheesh.

--
Let no guilty man escape.
 		-- U. S. Grant