[sf-lug] Enabling bootlogd

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Dec 7 13:52:07 PST 2007

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Arnold wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Been looking to get the bootlog working and I'd appreciate any help.
> The OS is an Etch Netinstall with a minimal XFCE which I use to learn
> the CL and venture into new territory. (My main OS is Etch/KDE.)
>
> I edited the /etc/default/bootlogd file to "BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes" but
> that didn't work. Next, I found a recent Debian forum thread where
> someone posted this CL suggestion for the same problem: "ln -s
> /etc/init.d/bootlogd /etc/rcS.d/S00bootlogd". With the new
> "S00bootlogd" file in the /etc/rcS.d directory, I rebooted and the
> word "failed" scrolled by in red (4th line in log below).

Do you have the package for this daemon installed?  What does dpkg -l |
grep bootlog say?

Also who owns the config file you're editing?  What do dpkg -S
/etc/init.d/bootlogd and dpkg -S /etc/default/bootlogd say?

-- Asheesh.

--
A bachelor is a selfish, undeserving guy who has cheated some woman out
of a divorce.