[sf-lug] Is there a way to...

Mark K. Zanfardino mark at zanfardinoconsulting.com
Fri Dec 7 09:47:37 PST 2007

Is there a way to analyze the traffic through my router?  I'm not sure
that I'm asking is correctly, so let me set up a scenario: I've been a
Vontage customer for a little over a year now.  Up until a few months
ago the service was crystal clear.  However, a few months back I notices
that the calls are not choppy, evidence of packet loss I suspect.

I switched ISP's from Comcast high-speed to Astound.  I had anticipated
that this might resolve the issue, but it hasn't.  It's occurred to me
(and forgive the conspiracy mindedness of this statement) that since
both Comcast and Astound provide VoIP services of their own that they
maybe lowering the priority of VoIP packets on their network.  Granted,
they wouldn't lower the VoIP packets of their own service, so this
theory is dependent  upon them being able to shape high-speed data
traffic separate from the VoIP service they offer.

I realize I won't get a straight answer if I call either of these
company's: are they really going to admit to interfering with traffic?
So I'm wonder if there is a way in which I could analyze the data stream
and see if I might be able to identify a trend in packet priorities or
something of that nature.

I know that we are able to capture network traffic trends within my
office using a solitary hub (old-school, not  a switch) and wireshark.
Is this the same type of method I'd likely need to use?

This is more a question of curiosity than criticality.  Any thoughts
would be appreciated.

Cheers!