[sf-lug] VPN Questions

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Wed Dec 5 01:18:26 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 10:38 -0800, Mark K. Zanfardino wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Yes, that is what I thought: that a new virtual device would be created
> (say eth2) that would be bound with the ip address and gateway
> information that is provided by QuickVPN.  This is the step I'm not
> seeing.  And being that I'm establishing the VPN connection via QuickVPN
> and it's a windows application I shouldn't expect that it would create
> said device.
>
> My assumption is that QuickVPN has in fact established the connection
> (as is evidenced by QuickVPN and the log files on the VPN router) but
> that it has no way to hand off that information to linux.  Again, just a
> wild stab in the dark.
>
> At any rate, it seems my best bet will be to use a windows PC to
> establish the VPN connection, then use ssh to connect to the windows box
> with my linux lappy.  Then I should be able to run tightvnc to connect
> to my workstation desktop...
>
> Let me know if you come up with anything more direct.

Seems like QuickVPN only establishes the connection within Wine, and
that's why you don't see the connection info within Linux. After
establishing the connection, can you try launching a browser within
wine? If this works, it looks like you need to find a way to bridge the
connection from Wine to the parent OS. I'm afraid I don't have any more
details than that at the moment.

Cheers, Tom