[sf-lug] no term

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 20:11:53 PST 2007

I've installed ubuntu7.10 onto a desk top and everything is working as
it should EXCEPT:
when I try to launch the terminal from the desk top, I just get a white
window with no content and no response to anything I do to the key
board or mouse until I move out of the white area. I can close the
window by clicking on its representation on the bottom tool bar but no
other way.
The only way I can get to a terminal is to CTL-ALT-Fn (n=1..6) and use
one of the virtual terminals. (Which is what I often prefer to do
anyway, but...it's not right.)
Can any one suggest what might be happening?
I've been trying to learn a bit about upstart, but I suspect that the
problem is further down the line and has to do with the desktop, not
with the init process.

alex at kleider.net