[sf-lug] VPN Questions

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Tue Dec 4 10:30:00 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 10:20 -0800, Mark K. Zanfardino wrote:
> Tom
>
> I've not used route before.  Th results of route -n however only seems
> to return addresses specific to the router I'm presently connected to,
> ever after I've established the QuickVPN connection.  That is, I'm
> connected to a router here at work that is outside out intranet and
> route -n shows just the ip's related to that router.
>
> I've installed traceroute and used it to trace my route to an internal
> address, but I fear that's not very productive.  We use 10.10.10.x for
> our internal addresses (as opposed to say 192.168.x.x).  As a result,
> when I traceroute to 10.10.10.1 I'm likely getting hitting a class A
> router owned by AT&T or someone.

Well that sounds to me like your problem. Typically a VPN connection
will create a new "virtual" networking device and that will have an IP
address on the network you're connecting to, and will be added to your
route table as the device to connect to that network on. It sounds to me
like this step isn't happening - I'm not sure if that's because the VPN
device works differently in your case, or it's the actually problem.

I'm actually with the author of this article so I can ask him a little
about how it works and see if he has any suggestions for you.

Cheers, Tom