[sf-lug] Volunteer InstallFest (Dec 15th)

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 14:00:05 PST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 9:26 AM, Tom Haddon <tom at greenleaftech.net> wrote:

> We're looking for about 4-5 people to help out.

I have committed to be there, but I am a relative simple end user.  I have
installed probably 70 copies or so of GNU Linux on various different boxes,
but my theoretical skill base is still lacking, and there are also glaring
holes in my practical experience.

I won't actually be available on the day, unfortunately, so if any is
> able to step up and help out with some of the organising

I am wondering if we could get some kind of public calendar going and post
it to the SF-LUG site?  I am thinking of a google calendar, for example.
Users would need to get an @sf-lug email account to be able to post to the
calendar.  IMHO, that might help us organize things a bit better.

> (burning CDs,
> etc.) that would be great. Or, I can burn CDs and someone can pick them
> up from me.

Have we settled on a distro or distros?  Or is it going to be the case that
everyone just brings their own favorite distro?  And have we settled on
minimum hardware requirements?

I know that this is only our first effort with St. Anthony's, but IMHO, this
would be a good opportunity to ramp up our presence as a LUG, by having a
standard distro, with a page for links to a large community forum, such as
maybe Ubuntu, for example. or PClinuxOS, for example.  This way, we can
standardize a few things, and maybe not have to recreate the wheel for each
new user that comes in.

Maybe think of it as a free (as in beer) franchise.  Let's think about what
we would want to do if we were going to franchise this issue and "sell" it
to other LUGs globally.  Of course, not everyone's needs will be the same
globally, and so of course there will be limits.  But IMHO it would be cool
if we could think of ways to make this process more streamlined, more
rational, and more reproducible elsewhere.