[sf-lug] Backups are important

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Nov 20 10:33:55 PST 2007

so they should be easy.

There's an app I mentioned to Kristian at yesterday's SF-LUG meeting
called TimeVault.  It looks like this:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TimeVault/ScreenShots , has a home page at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TimeVault , and has this overview:

   	TimeVault is a simple front-end for making snapshots of a set of
   	directories. Snapshots are a copy of a directory structure or file at a
   	certain point in time. Restore functionality is integrated into Nautilus -
   	previous versions of a file or directory that has a snapshot can be
   	accessed by examining the properties and selecting the 'Previous Versions'

   	Snapshots are protected from accidental deletion or modification since
   	they are read-only by default. The super-user can delete intermediate
   	snapshots to save space, but files and directories that existed before or
   	after the deletion will still be accessible.

If you want to have backups of your home directory, these are the steps to

1. Install this sucker

2. Follow the documentation in the Documentation section

More details another time.  I'm interested in Kristian's and others'

-- Asheesh.

...the prevailing Catholic odor - incense, wax, centuries of mild bleating
from the lips of the flock.
   		-- Thomas Pynchon, _Gravity's Rainbow_