[sf-lug] Simple Question

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 16 14:12:39 PST 2007

Quoting Ernest De Leon (edeleonjr at gmail.com):

> each terminal is numbered F1-Fwhatever...you just use
> CTRL+ALT+Fwhatever to move around between them.

Yep.  I didn't even know about "invokerc.d gdm".

I _did_, however, know about "chvt", which is usuable across any X11
"desktop environment" or none, and is worth knowing about:

  NAME

  chvt - change foreground virtual terminal

  SYNOPSIS

  chvt N

  DESCRIPTION

  The command chvt N makes /dev/ttyN the foreground terminal. (The
  corresponding screen is created if it did not exist yet. To get rid of
  unused VTs, use deallocvt(1).) The key combination (Ctrl-)LeftAlt-FN
  (with N in the range 1-12) usually has a similar effect.

(I'm not really down on GNOME.  Much.  It's much better than it used to
be, at least.)