[sf-lug] Simple Question

jim stockford jim at well.com
Fri Nov 16 10:48:13 PST 2007

    If your mouse pointer is captured in a process window,
the only thing I can think of is try  CTL-ALT-F2 (or F3,4,5)
to get a console window that presents a command-line
shell prompt.
    Use the  ps aux | less  command and try to identify the
process number (PID) of the process that's grabbing
your mouse, then use the  kill -15 <PID>  command,
where PID is the process number of the offending
process. If that doesn't work, then use the  kill -9 <PID>
command and see what happens. If that doesn't work,
try the  shutdown -r now  command to reboot. if that
doesn't work, uh oh: cut the power and file a bug with
the kernel developers.

    NOTE: linux kernel developers are begging users to
run linux on as many different machines as possible
and to file bug reports at
    you can help the linux kernel developers by doing
so and reporting any failures (if it boots, it works,
according to Andrew Morton, linux head honcho).

    NUTHER_NOTE: almost certainly this problem is not
a kernel problem but a problem with the process and/or
its use of the GUI (window manager, most likely).

    I can't wait to see responses.