[sf-lug] Simple Question

jim stockford jim at well.com
Fri Nov 16 10:48:13 PST 2007

    If your mouse pointer is captured in a process window,
the only thing I can think of is try  CTL-ALT-F2 (or F3,4,5)
to get a console window that presents a command-line
shell prompt.
    Use the  ps aux | less  command and try to identify the
process number (PID) of the process that's grabbing
your mouse, then use the  kill -15 <PID>  command,
where PID is the process number of the offending
process. If that doesn't work, then use the  kill -9 <PID>
command and see what happens. If that doesn't work,
try the  shutdown -r now  command to reboot. if that
doesn't work, uh oh: cut the power and file a bug with
the kernel developers.

    NOTE: linux kernel developers are begging users to
run linux on as many different machines as possible
and to file bug reports at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/lkml/reporting-bugs.html
    you can help the linux kernel developers by doing
so and reporting any failures (if it boots, it works,
according to Andrew Morton, linux head honcho).

    NUTHER_NOTE: almost certainly this problem is not
a kernel problem but a problem with the process and/or
its use of the GUI (window manager, most likely).

    I can't wait to see responses.
jim