[sf-lug] sf-lug meeting this monday, 11/19, at 6 PM, at the Javacat

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 07:52:37 PST 2007

hi

On Nov 15, 2007 10:27 PM, jim stockford <jim at well.com> wrote:

> SF-LUG meets at the Javacat on Geary Boulevard
> at 20th Avenue in San Francisco the evening of
> Monday, 11/19, from 6:00 PM till 8:00 PM.

This is not finally confirmed, but it looks as if there is a 90% chance that
we will be able to have a visit for Monday's SF-LUG meeting from Sulamita
Garcia.  Sulamita is a leader in the women's tech group / civil rights group
known as LinuxChix and a computer scientist at Intel who is responsible for
managing Intel's open source initiatives in Brazil.  Sulamita is also a very
warm and friendly person, and I think that you will enjoy meeting her.

Coincidentally, Sulamita has graciously agreed to commit her day to our
local public middle school FOSS project this next Tuesday, November 20, to
talk with the students about her experiences as a woman in a male-dominated
industry (computer science), and the role of Free Open Source Software in
creating opportunities for women in developing countries.

Below is a link to the LinuxChix website, as well as a short summary of what
LinuxChix is all about.

http://www.linuxchix.org/about-linuxchix.html

Here is as short description of LinuxChix:

LinuxChix is a community for women who like Linux, and for anyone who wants
to support women in computing. We are an international group of Free
Software users and developers, founded in 1999 with the aim of "supporting
women in Linux." Founder Deb Richardson described it as an alternative to
the "locker room atmosphere" found in some online technical forums and gave
LinuxChix two core rules: "be polite" and "be helpful". LinuxChix is now
many things to many people, but it remains primarily a group for supporting
women in computing, specifically in Open Source/Free Software/Software Libre
computing.