[sf-lug] i586 ThinkPad CD-ROM problems

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 13 02:06:01 PST 2007

Quoting Kristian Erik Hermansen (kristian.hermansen at gmail.com):

> Interesting RIck, because I still believe lshw can tell you the
> make/model :-)

Only in the _quite_ rare case where that information happens to be in the
DMIdecode datastream.  That is why I very carefully said "As a general rule"
-- or were you not paying attention even after two repetitions?

   lshw (Hardware Lister) is a small tool to provide detailed
   information on the hardware configuration of the machine. It can
   report exact memory configuration, firmware version, mainboard
   configuration, CPU version and speed, cache configuration, bus speed,
   etc. on DMI-capable x86 or EFI (IA-64) systems and on some PowerPC
   machines.

None of that data _as a general rule_ will include make/model
information.

Capice?