[sf-lug] i586 ThinkPad CD-ROM problems

jim stockford jim at well.com
Mon Nov 12 17:56:57 PST 2007

    seems to me one big issue is how to point someone,
who's relatively new, to information that will help them
identify the information that's germane.
    what to look for specifically? (maybe restate what exactly
we're trying to identify.)
    there's info on the outside of the box. there may be info
inside (e.g. battery compartment). there may be info in
/var/log/dmesg (i.e. the output of the dmesg command).
there may be info in the /proc/ filesystem.
    anywhere else?
    the following commands might include some useful
system data (commands show root user prompt):
# dmesg | grep CPU
# dmesg | grep sizeof
# echo $HOSTTYPE
# less /proc/cpuinfo