[sf-lug] i586 ThinkPad CD-ROM problems

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Nov 12 17:05:59 PST 2007

Quoting Asheesh Laroia (asheesh at asheesh.org):

> You know, this thread would have been way shorter if only we could know
> which the heck laptop this was.

Quite definitely so.  I've said this several times, though I didn't want
to seem like I was harping on it.

Alex:  This page may help you:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-49QTT6.html
Note the tips on identifying the "product number" (comprising IBM machine
type and model) and the S/N.

> I think that i586 issue is almost totally a red herring.

Well, yes, I think we already established that, a while back.

There are particular distribution images that Alex would not be able to
use because they're compiled with i686 optimisation, but the images he's
been trying lately most definitely are not -- and I've also given him
pointers on how to verify what CPU level various distro images are
compiled for.