[sf-lug] Wireless Mesh networking using the XO laptop

jasonstone jasonstone at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 10:47:25 PST 2007

Christian

I have watched this from afar, but have little first hand experience.

The issues that I have with the Meraki model, as I understand it, is
that the node owner purchases the node, supplies the bandwidth and the
neighbors get free wifi with ads.

Now, I am actually quite supportive of the first part.  When I moved
into my current place I purchased equipment to start an SFLAN node,
but alas, that project folded before I became active.  Wireless mesh
networks seem to have the spirit that the early internet had.

Being the lazy person that I am (and not having done the research),
does anyone know if I can take Meraki's code and modify it to not run
ads, but still be part of the mesh community (freedom).  Would people
that use the same mesh technologies (MIT?) be able to join the network
without banner ads (beer)?  I am also ignorantly concerned about the
data being collected about the sites that people choose to view on the
Meraki network for targeted advertising. (freedom).

I apologize if this seems adversarial (I dont mean to be) and that I
didnt do my homework fully.

-jasonstone