[sf-lug] OLPC -- Give One Get One starts soon

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Fri Nov 9 09:26:01 PST 2007

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> On 11/8/07, jim stockford <jim at well.com> wrote:
>
>> One Laptop Per Child:
>> i signed up, looks like it's gonna happen.
>> check it out.
>>

> I am buying at least two, and maybe three...

Mass production is already happening as we speak/write
(http://opensource.sfsu.edu/node/421). We will probably buy a few at SF
State so that we can conduct mesh networking experiments. We did this a
few years ago by employing laptops in cars and forming a mobile mesh. It
was way too difficult though to form the mesh and "hold it in formation"
because of the software and meshing protocols at the time. The XO seems
a lot better. Here's a short excerpt of the experiment
http://xpress.sfsu.edu/archives/tech/000236.html

Let me know if anyone is interested in helping us out.

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University