[sf-lug] Server Installs in large environments

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 22:20:52 PST 2007

On 11/5/07, Mike <mikronixx at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am aware of network-based solutions such as autoYaST/Kickstart and I
> have read about System Imager, but I would like to hear about what has
> been tried successfully and unsuccessfully in large environments as I
> have no experience in this area, never managing more that 6-7 servers at
> a time before starting this job.  The idea of managing one image, that
> can either be installed over a network, and/or from a DVD, followed by a
> post install configuration script depending on server type, is highly
> appealing, but I also know that may be unrealistic.

You may want to check out Clonezilla.  Look what I did with it at Cisco:

You can see the video of my talk, some podcasts, along with
presentation files for my talk at Ubuntu Live in Portland describing
how to utilize such a setup in your infrastructure:

If you have any questions, let me know :-)
Kristian Erik Hermansen