[sf-lug] Newbie grateful for suggestions installs MythBuntu

Jim Cortez jim at jimcortez.com
Mon Oct 29 17:01:27 PDT 2007

Sam,
I also just recently installed mythbuntu on a machine in my living room.
Mythtv works (minus channel guides) just fine. Looking at your post, I
have to point out your hardware deficiencies. The P3 with less than 1
Ghz is not going to handle Myth very well at all. I have a 3ghz machine
with 1.25 gb of RAM and it barely squeaks out good picture. I see that
you have a hauppage that has hardware encoding which should take some
stress of the cpu, but it is still not fast enough.
As for the spontaneous rebooting, have you checked your internal
temperature? With that much load on the processor and the internal card,
its gotta get really hot in there, make sure ubuntu is not just shutting
of your system because of heat issues. You may also look at the drivers
for your cards, I know hauppage is supported very well through ivtv, but
I am not sure on the ATI card.
The snow should only come up if you do not have any signal on that
channel. Have you tried plugging in a TV to the coax line you are using?
Make sure it has a signal, it will have you headache later!
Lastly, the media sharing should be simple through samba. If you have a
desktop manager (KDE, Gnome, etc.) installed, then there should be
graphical ways of seeing the windows shares. Just make sure you have
samba installed and running.
Good Luck!
Jim

PS- This is my first posting to the mailing list. I have heard about
this group for a while so I decided to join up!