[sf-lug] Newbie offering eternal gratitude + usable hardware for help with a LinuxMCE MythTV installation

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 23:59:15 PDT 2007

hi

On 10/27/07, Sam Geffner <sgeffner at gmail.com> wrote:

> The title says it.  New user making the awkward transition to Linux, long
> time intermediate user of Windoze.  I fell in love with the LinuxMCE video
> and the idea of total control of my life with one remote.  On a dedicated
> Compaq I installed Kubuntu Feisty,

Sam, I am a relatively simple end user, but from my recent experiences, but
IMHO, Gutsy is a big improvement over Feisty:

http://www.google.com/search?q=mythbuntu+gutsy&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

So it appears that there is Mythbuntu Gutsy available, and so if it were me,
i would seriously consider reinstalling Mythbuntu Gutsy.  You are going to
get a much longer support cycle with Gutsy than Feisty.  IMHO, you don't
want to tweak Feisty now, only to find out that the community is moving away
from Feisty and toward Gutsy.  In my experience, when you go to a forum and
ask for help, the first thing that the Ubuntu users there will do is ask
what version you are running, and then they will give you grief if you are
running an out-dated OS.  Plus, Ubuntu really makes lots of progress between
versions, and so you might really be more satisfied with the performance you
get on Gutsy.

good luck!  Please let us know how you are doing.