[sf-lug] Christian - May have something you can use...

bobbie sellers bliss at california.com
Sat Oct 27 08:48:35 PDT 2007

Hi Christian Einfeldt, on 10/27/07, you wrote:

> hi Bobbie,

> Sorry for my lag in replying to you! I am getting ready to go
> to Germany for some family business, and I will be off the grid
> for much of the time from Monday 10/29 through Thurs 11/08
> since I will be in a very small town. Also, our lead video sys
> admin, Jonathan Grindstaff, is camping beginning today through
> Wednesday in Virginia, and so he might also not have Internet

> Your offer sounds wonderful! Thank you ! More comments in
> line...

> On 10/26/07, bobbie sellers <bliss at california.com> wrote:

>> Hi Christian Einfeldt,

>>     You need storage space for your material for the movie,
>> according to what you said at meeting and in the mailing
>> list.

> +1 !!

>    I originally tried to send this message to your private
>> e-mail address

    Made the mistake again!!!

> Yeah, it is 1:00 am on Sat Oct 27 and I am just now getting
> enough time to reply...

> and since then have some additional information
>> that may be of interest.  The box is Firewire or IEEE 1394 and
>> has a 300 watt power supply. The drives are IDE standard

> Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Did you say that this system does
> have drives? Or not? Either way, it sounds like a really
> interesting device!! Currently, we are not able to really
> search our HDs except by the DTP wiki HD contents index, which
> is here:

    No hard drives in the box.  It looks like the drives can
be hooked up individually or in pairs.  I don't know much about
firewire but it has one long cable and one short cable that
looks as though it is meant to be an connector between the
drives.  Each drawer (meant for 5.24) hard drives has its own
ide connector and power plug.

> http://digitaltippingpoint.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hard_Drive_Index

> And this is our Master list of the tapes and a brief summary of
> what is on each tape. You will notice that it is not completely
> filled out. We are filling it out as we capture, which gives
> you a quick approximate bird's eye view of where we are.

> http://digitaltippingpoint.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tapes_Master_List

> Our focus has been getting footage up onto the Internet
> Archive's Digital Tipping Point Video Collection (IA DTP VC),
> and so the best way to find out what our footage is covering is
> to go here to the IA DTP VC Subject Index, which lists topics
> covered by interviewee name, region, and topic matter:

> http://tinyurl.com/yluwoc

> and each drawer has its own mini-fan.

> Nice!

> I got this at a thrift
>> store for a very low price and am willing to pass it as a
>> donation if necessary or simply at cost.

> Awesome, thank you very much!  When will you need to move it?

    Not a big rush but when you get back from your family
business it would be a good idea to pick it up.

>    Yes I am already making plans for building this into
>> another system but I would quite happy to further your
>> interests.

> Thanks, Bobbie, that is really really nice! I would totally
> understand if you need it for your own purposes, but I deeply
> appreciate the offer, and I would like to give a whack at using
> it! Thanks again either way for the offer !

    I got it in hopes it might be useful to your project so
I will save myself more effort than finding a place to put
it where I won't fall over it in the night.

    Have a pleasant journey,
    later
    Bobbie

--
 bobbie sellers - (Back to Angband) Team *AMIGA & SF-LUG*
            bliss at california dot com

    "The great object is, that every man be armed....Everyone who
is able may have a gun." --Patrick Henry