[sf-lug] FWIW and :r! dig -t ns sf-lug.com

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 19:55:48 PDT 2007

hi

On 10/24/07, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> (If that's untrue of some
> people here, then I guess they're likely to miss some jokes.

No, that is the benefit of being on a list like this.  You learn from
osmosis.

And mentioning an editor command that can be fairly easily figured out
> from context is nothing at all like indulging in dumbass flamewars about
> other people's text editors.

Well, except that I find that it is a entertaining.  I get great tech
support from the people on the list, but at the same time, I am also
entertained at how incredibly arcane the jokes are.

> I mean, how funny is it that people bash each others' text editors!
>
> If done other than with extremely ironic intent, I'd call that more than
> a bit sad.

This was not intended as a dig, but as a compliment.  What I meant was that
it is funny that people are having disagreements about arcane topics.  For
me, as a newbie, it is sometimes a bit like watching elephants wrestle: it's
a huge spectacle, and best observed from the sidelines.  No offense
intended.  My apologies if you were offended, because it was actually
intended as a compliment and a nod to your accomplishment with vi, because I
know how hard it is to use vi.