[sf-lug] FWIW and :r! dig -t ns sf-lug.com

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 24 19:41:33 PDT 2007

Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):

> Alex, the other thing that was funny about Rick's reference is that he was
> making a reference to a text editor that he was using, which is often times
> a point of contention, because everyone has their favorite text editors.
> And so if you make a vi joke, you are sort of tweaking the noses of people
> who don't use vi.

Thing is, everyone on *ix traditionally encounters vi.

They may hate it, and quickly run screaming to pico^Wnano^Wnedit^Wkate,
but, before they do, they inevitably see enough of it to figure out from
context that ":" enters a command mode.  (If that's untrue of some
people here, then I guess they're likely to miss some jokes.  Oh well.
Sic Transit Gloria Jargon File.)

Just as it shouldn't be _that_ difficult to figure out what
"victim^Wcustomer" means without someone requiring someone to diagram
the joke for you.

And mentioning an editor command that can be fairly easily figured out
from context is nothing at all like indulging in dumbass flamewars about
other people's text editors.

> I mean, how funny is it that people bash each others' text editors!

If done other than with extremely ironic intent, I'd call that more than
a bit sad.