[sf-lug] rescue disk for thinkpad 1400

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 21 19:27:03 PDT 2007

I've been struggling trying to get a rescue or maintenance CD to boot
on the ThinkPad without much success.
DamnSmallLinux's fdisk command doesn't work as I've already described
to you.
Sidux (your favourite) tells me: PANIC: CPU too old for this kernel.
Since it's a 2.6 kernel I began searching for rescue CD's with a 2.4
kernel:
SystemRescueCD hangs during boot immediately after the message: Freeing
unused kernel memory: 692 freed.
timos_rescue_cd goes into a reboot during loading of the kernel.
Things are getting a bit discouraging.
Have you any further thoughts?
Do you think this problem will go away with more memeory?
If the 2.6 kernel really won't work with this processor perhaps I'm
fighting a loosing battle.

alex at kleider.net