[sf-lug] OT: Car broken into on 7th and Howard, GPS and other items stolen -- is this common?

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 03:36:03 PDT 2007

People warned me about parking my car in San Francisco, especially
with a GPS in sight.  I just put the GPS in my car yesterday, and this
was the first night I parked it.  It sucks to have come back to broken
glass and items gone tonight.

Does anyone have suggestions?  Should I just sell my car?  The police
told me that this will happen again and there is no way to prevent it.
 He said "we can't be everywhere, so how could we stop it?"

However, coming from a security background, why doesn't San Francisco
have a policy of honey-potting?  I mean, would it be that difficult to
take some cars and put them where the most crimes are reported with
GPS units visible?  Maybe place some cameras to monitor the car and a
broken glass sensor?  Then you nab the guy in real-time.  I know that
SF has a horrible homeless problem, but it just sucks to have had this
happen, because I was in denial of what SF residents were telling me.
Now I know it to be the truth.  I think that the problem can be
solved, and if you have suggestions please let me know.  I'm out $2500
in stuff at the moment...

/smitten
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen